Bike

Friday, July 8, 2011

What to do?

Well, I have decided that I am by far one of the worst bloggers in the history of bloggers!  I know I should be better at this, but I am just not.

So much has happened since June 21:

On June 22, we went to one of the workers' house about 30 minutes away to meet his son, who is 10 years old with Cerebral Palsy.  He has never had a wheelchair, and is now too big for them to carry to and from town, church etc.  The mother stays at home all day with the son, but has some chickens to take care of so she has something to do.  On Sundays the family goes to church without the kids, meaning there is a 3 year old boy to "care for" the 10 year old for a few hours.  The father of this son is by far one of the nicest men I have ever met.  One of the greatest things is that he hasn't run away from his family, even in the midst of it being difficult.  He knows that God has a purpose and has chosen him to be a father to this boy.  Throughout the boy's life, they have been told they can get help through different organizations, but they would go and try, pay money, but never receive services.  I left this house with my heart so full, yet so empty.  The good news about this situation is for the circumstances, this boy actually has it good - maybe not as best as he could, but really it is good.  He has two parents that absolutely love him, which is more than a lot of kids in countries like this.  Soon I will meet a girl who needs a wheelchair that lives in the IDP camp that gets locked in her house everyday so her single mother can go to work.  People say that if the house wasn't locked, they believe that people would go in there to steal or to tease the girl.  Please pray.

 Heidi, Tim, and I went to Lake Nakuru for a safari.  We did not see lions this time, but we did see the cool looking lizard on top there!  It was wonderful because we explored a bit more than I got to on my last safari and we also stopped for a nice lunch.  We definitely didn't feel like we were in a 3rd world country at this little place.  It was very relaxing.

Tim and I became "Woody & Thelma" for some skits for the kids.  The first day Tim was covered with a snuggie with his arms behind his back and me right behind him with my arms popping out for the kids to see.  Tim had no idea what my arms would do and I had no idea what he would say.  The skit was for me to get him ready in the morning meaning: shaving, brushing teeth, drinking water, singing a song, ...etc.  The next day we switched roles.  My face was out and Tim's arms were in control.  He put makeup all over my face (picture above) and I surprised Tim by saying I needed my fingernails painted.  Let's also say that we didn't give him nail polish remover until late that night and I think he still went home with some red on his cuticles.  The best day of all was when Bob and Julie became the faces with Tim as Julie's arms and me as Bob's short little arms.  If you have facebook, you should get on and watch all three videos!  HILARIOUS ... especially of Bob and Julie.  They are pros!

The Lost Orphans team built a swing set for the kids.  For all of them, it was a first for swinging.  One of the best memories I have is of them on it and cheering each other on, waiting for their turn to see what it was like.  They absolutely love the swing!!!


Tim and I traveled by Matatu to Maai Mahiu for a few hours to spend at Comfort the Children and search for an internet card through the alleys of this town.  On the way there, we were stopped by the police.  He came to my door and basically said that I could be arrested, taken to jail, spend the night there, and go to court for not having my seatbelt on.  I will not lie, I was a bit nervous, but if I was going down I was taking Tim with me.  I told him over and over again that I didn't know that it was a "law" to wear a seatbelt and in my head I was thinking "This is really of concern to them?  There is so much more going on in this town."  He then asks "Do you want to pay a fee?"  As he was talking he and the driver were both smiling so Tim knew something was up and chimed in and told the officer that I didn't want to pay a fee to him.  Basically, they were after money and a good laugh.  At times the matatu drivers and police officers will team up again "white people" that come in and try and make a buck or two off of them.  Well, they got zilch out of me this time.  

 We visited Comfort the Children in hopes to see the kids.  As luck would have it, the kids were on break, but we did get to visit with the mothers, which was awesome!  they are currently making these things called "L.I.F.E. Jackets" which are little coffee cup holders so your hands don't get burned.  They are tons of fun, so I bought a few and will probably buy some more the next time I go.  (great presents with a good meaning)
I am a huge fan of soaking in God's beauty through sunsets, so I wanted to climb to the top of the water tower at Naomi's Village, but did not make it all the way this time, but Tim caught a pretty cool picture of my attempt.  (Eventually I did go all the way up another day, but was real nervous of getting down, so my roommate - Heidi - had to come help rescue me)

Just the other day, I strapped Baby Evans to my back and took a walk.  As we were leaving for our walk, he was a little fussy, as anyone would be sitting like that - so I grabbed my guitar.  I had my guitar in front, him on my back and a nice African sunset awaiting me for some dang good Jesus time.  We sang and played for probably 30 - 45 minutes.  One of the prettiest sunsets in the past month.

 One hot Saturday, the kids needed something to do so what better way to use water than water balloon fight.  It started out as a simple game of tossing a balloon around, then just got better and better.  We ended up on the top of the balcony dropping the balloons on the kids.  They loved it!!!  We also filled up a bucket of water and let them have it.  I can't explain the joy the kids had and just how much fun it was for them - and for us to be a part of that.  (video on Facebook as well).

That following day I was sick again! ahhhhh this time, my stomach felt like something was eating it away.  I didn't hold anything down that day and spent a good portion of my day staring at the bottom of the toilet.  I was not a happy person, but good news - I felt better the next day.

 I had decided that I haven't officially celebrated the 4th of July since 2007 because of being at camp and not actually going out and seeing fireworks having a bar-b-que etc..... So this year, we celebrated Kenyan style by not officially celebrating an American holiday, but by making signs for all the people in the US that help support Naomi's Village.  We watched fireworks via YouTube and the kids were amazed and quiet - which amazed me!! :-)  We are planning a night of fireworks for them hopefully before I leave.  That will be absolutely amazing!

Well, today July 8th I look at my time left here at Naomi's Village and can honestly say that I am not ready to come back home.  It is extremely hard for me to wrap my mind around what life will be like again - partially because I will not have a job when I get back.  I've had a job since I was 15 years old so it will be very different.  But you also cannot imagine the excitement I feel in that because God will be in control and I will not be able to have the security of a paycheck right away, but only live by faith.  I somewhat delight in the idea of all the options there really are to me right now.  I can do anything, but will say that the only thing I want to do is follow what God has.  My selfish being does not want to move out of Dallas, but I am praying that I become a little more open hearted about that if it is His plan.  I have this big dream that - maybe, just maybe over the next 6 months I can find a job where I can strike it rich and travel for the first half of the year next year making a documentary about international disabilities.  WOW!!  I would love that.  I've considered finding a job overseas to even teach.

The "American/Person that cares about what other people think" side of me wants to have a "real job", but there is something in my heart that doesn't want to get a "real job" right now because I want to be able to be flexible in the next 6 months.  I've struggled with this American way of thinking that in order to be considered successful, you have to have a full time job where you have health benefits, a nice salary, and be in charge of people.  All of those things are nice, and I was very blessed to have all of those things I just mentioned, but that was not the thing that made me successful - some of it actually made me a little prideful.  Having success in life isn't about those things - it is about following hard after God - and in that I am not sure that I can really consider myself very successful because I feel as if there is so much more chasing to do.

Today, I realized that life has been about me for the past 25 years.  I have mentioned God a lot in the past 10 years, but have been so selfish in that even.  God has placed me in different situations here in Kenya to show me that this life is not about me, it really isn't about comfort, it is not about what I want - but what God wants.  I feel like I've known these things, but have finally connected my heart to this idea.   The other day, Heidi and I went running with the kids - she lead & I was the caboose.  As we were running a song came on my iPod that I haven't heard in a while.  The words in the chorus are: "It's all because of this. It's all because of this. We've tasted love, tasted hope, tasted holiness."  This is what life is about.  I have tasted the love, the hope, and the holiness of God.  Now my job: to share that with people: people with disabilities, orphans, widows, black, white, poor, rich - whatever it may be.  My "job" is to be a Christian first/to share the love of Jesus - no matter what worldly title I will have in the next 6 months or 60 years.  


As I close this blog, I write about a verse my friend Katie Mayer wrote in one of the 8 cards she sent with me.  It was the card I opened yesterday and it spoke of being in waiting.  Now, I feel like I am in waiting to see what God has for me - if that means staying in Kenya or coming home and finding a job .... 


"We wait in hope for the Lord; He is our help & our shield. In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His holy name. May Your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in You." Psalm 33:20


He is in control of our lives - not us, no matter what we think.

1 comment: