As I have been back from Kenya, I realize more & more how terrible of a blogger I am, but I want to give an update on what God is doing in my life now.
On July 22, I returned from a place where my heart still resides, Kenya. As each day goes by, I think about the details of that place – the smells of pollution, the sites of trash all over the roads, the markets full of fruits & veggies, the strong women carrying a 5 gallon jug of water on their heads and wood on their backs, people just laying on the side of the road taking a nap, Safari Com buildings, the dust, the craziness of Nairobi traffic, cars honking & running stop lights on the round-abouts, the pressure of some Kenyans trying to sell you something while you sit in the traffic (some climbing through the window to try and get money) people running up to you saying “Mzungu, mzungu – give me your watch”, “give me money” … as weird as it sounds, I really miss all of these things, but the things I miss the most are the laughter and smiles of the kids, the gratefulness of the people, the silly jokes from the Mendonsas, God's beauty of the mountains, & seeing the growth of Naomi’s Village.
As I reflect each day, I get more and more excited to go back soon, hopefully. God has grown my faith in Him, which is one thing I realize was absolutely necessary for the journey He is continuing me on.
On July 22, there was not one thing inside of me that knew where to look – only to Jesus. I had no idea where to turn, which direction to go, except to run toward Him. I felt as if I were in the middle of an empty field, slowly spinning, and asking God “hmmm alrighty, God. Now what?” I wasn’t going back to my Asst. Director job at camp, so what was I supposed to do that would be meaningful to God’s glory? For weeks, I really had NO idea. I applied at random places and received some opportunities, but kept feeling like God was saying “no”, so I’d have to turn them down or God would just do it for me. After 5 weeks, I felt like God said don’t apply for anymore full time jobs - which was a bit hard to understand initially because we all need an income. In this mix of time, I got connected with a guy named Nate Allen Wilson, who runs ‘The Last Frontier Agency’ which, among many things, does mission trips, & international photography for families overseas who have never had a family portrait of themselves. As I spoke with Nate and his wife, Meg, I began to share an idea with them about a documentary idea that I knew God gave me. Fast forward to today - a little over a month after our initial meeting – he is now the Producer & Co-Director to the documentary about global disabilities I've been wanting to make - a documentary that just seemed like a dream 6 months ago that I thought might not actually every happen. But now ... now - IT IS HAPPENING! I cannot begin to explain the excitement that is in my heart, soul, and any other depth I have in my body. There are times when I am in my house and I just scream and start laughing or dancing around because I'm so excited about what God is doing, even though I have absolutely no idea what lies ahead. I am extremely grateful to Him because He chose me to be a part of this journey. I never asked to love people with disabilities - God just gave that to me and WOW - what a HUGE gift it really is - to have the opportunity in this short life to know and love this population is incredible & indescribable. From being an Assistant Camp Director at a camp for children and adults with disabilities to becoming the Director & Writer of a Documentary - I am in awe of what God is up to. IT IS SO CRAZY!! The importance is not in what title I had or have or will have, but the importance is that I allow God to stay in the center of this documentary and lead every step of the way. He is bringing people into our crew that have a heart to make a difference for Him and His children. I pray the documentary spreads and educates people all over the world about the importance of those with disabilities. For a couple of weeks, when I would say “Nate, my producer…...” all I could do was laugh because it sounded so foreign & unreal to me. I can now say it with a straight face, but will continue to giggle when initially using more terms like “Director of Photography”, “Editor”, “Executive Producer” (hoping to say this one a lot) …. and other movie terms that just don't seem like I, Lindsey Castilleja, should be saying in the context of 'my world'. I'm enjoying the new 'world of film' and how much potential it has for necessary information to get into the hands of people all over the globe … but more so, to promote change and inspire hope to people that are in dire need of it.
(had to put this in there, because excitement is overflowing)
Even though there is so much excitement going on with the documentary, I am still not getting paid to do it right now. We are about to have fundraisers and get the money in to get this project done! Hopefully I will have a part-time job this time next week (pray for an interview happening tomorrow), but no matter what – God is good, faithful, and will provide. How exciting is that!!?? God is also allowing me to go to India Nov. 17 - 28 on a mission trip in hopes that we will be able to work part of the time with people with disabilities. woo hoo. I'm very excited to see a new country and a new culture.
There is one song that I continue to play on my guitar and sing each day that says exactly where I am right now in my life and relates so much to what God is teaching me:
Matt Redman’s “Never Once”
The lyrics say:
Never once did we ever walk alone.
Never once did You leave us on our own.
You are faithful, God. You are faithful.
Every step we are breathing in Your grace.
Evermore we’ll be breathing out Your praise.
You are faithful, God. You are faithful.
You are faithful, God. You are faithful.
You are faithful, God. You are faithful.
Whatever this little journey that I am on right now turns into, I know that God is faithful through it all.
Blessings,
Lindsey

No comments:
Post a Comment